I didn't take a single picture today, but I do have some to share. These are the photos from the disposable camera we sent over two months ago. She has more in common with her big brother than we knew. In a few photos she's getting a nebulizer treatment. Based on the pictures it doesn't appear that she cares for it, so
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=f0o3yyn.8iuiii53&x=0&y=aff74d
This morning was our first crack at the Victory Hotel's breakfast buffet. It was all edible, but no dumplings or tots. I say who cares if the breakfast isn't as good as long as we're saving 50% vs. the White Swan and have a comfortable bed. After breakfast we began to head to our hotel's main location a few blocks away to change some US dollars into Yuan. Leslie had just assumed that since we're staying in the annex building that they wouldn't have a cashier to exchange currency.
We made it just around the corner when we ran into the other family in our group with the two boys. Brad (dad), Erik (11), and Benjamin (9) were playing hacky-birdie in the park. We went over to say hello and the boy's chided me to join in the game. A little back-story...when this new game was revealed to us Brad joked to his boys that I was a professional hacky player. I went with it, and never joined them in playing saying I was retired and as such I wasn't allowed to play anymore. The boys questioned this lie by asking who'd know if I played in
We said see-ya-later to them and made our way over to our other (but same) hotel. I asked to change money and he said the exchange rate was 7.0 Yuan per dollar. Everywhere else it was between 7.3 and 7.4. I told him to take a hike and we walked out. I guess we were the ones who took the hike. Later Leslie guessed that since we appeared to walk in from off the street (even though we were staying at their hotel) he offered a crappy rate. Maybe, but we'll never know now. So by this time it was around noon-30. We walked to a small cafe and had lunch. While we ate we were discussed our money changing options when who walked up, but Brad and his family who I had played hacky with an hour earlier. The cafe was right next to the White Swan where Brad was staying, so I asked if he'd change $200 for us. Thankfully he did and I saved 5% since the rate was what I had expected. Thanks Brad!
Today was our final step in the process to bring Isabel home. We had to go to the US Consulate and take an oath swearing that all of the information that we've provided during our adoption process is true to the best of our knowledge. We met at the White Swan where we boarded a tour bus. This thing was big and there were three of them, almost all full except ours. I think in total about sixty families were heading to the Consulate as well. Unfortunately the Consulate until recently was next to the White Swan hotel, which is why I think it remains such a popular hotel for adopting families. Now it's about 40 minutes by bus in stop and go traffic. When we arrived I felt a little sick from the ride, but recovered quickly. To enter the Consulate we all had to show our
We're jealous of the two other families we traveled with as they get to leave tomorrow morning. We opted to stay an extra day in order to save some major dough on the flight. So tomorrow we'll finish up shopping and pack. Then it's back home on Friday morning. We can't wait!
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Day 13: US Consulate day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, you are hitting the home stretch. Not much longer now till the family is reunited and Isabel and Jackson can meet. I can't wait for you to return stateside. I bet you are excited. It's been an amazing journey. I can't wait to meet Isabel. Tell her aunt Liz says she loves her.
Liz
Remember to tell the person at immigrations that your bringing in your newly adopted daughter. There is a special line and much shorter. They usually take kids first.
I saw a picture of our little guy Ty in your pictures.
We just received pictures from a disposable camera sent to him for his birthday (October 15) and your Isabel is in a few.
I posted them on the Yahoo group site under Ty Olsen.
They must have taken pictures with disposable cameras on the same day because some of the pictures are almost the same.
Happy packing and enjoy your last day.
I hope you have a very smooth journey home!!!!
Wow I can't believe the journey is almost complete! It will be so exciting for Isabel to meet Jackson and for him to teach her big brother things like nebbie, speaking English (or Spanish in his case LOL), etc.
I am just wondering why Leslie didn't take any photos of the professional hacky-bird player!
LOL...safe travels!
Love ya,
Dawn
Post a Comment