Photos:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=f0o3yyn.3jn9ivyv&x=0&y=-lat1wm
Finally, a morning that doesn't begin with breakfast. We (Isabel and I) slept in until 10, and we didn't get ready in time for last call at the breakfast buffet at our hotel. Leslie decided to hit the Starbucks next door to our hotel, and then walk with our coffee until we found a place suitable to eat. Lucy's (as in "I Love"; surely not officially licensed) has a fairly Americanized menu. We walked by at 10:50 and they wouldn't open until 11, so we wandered the streets for a bit until we found something better. We didn't, so it was back to Lucy's for brunch. Leslie had the "American breakfast", the standard bacon, eggs, and toast. I opted for the grilled cheese and fries, while Isabel had the chicken congee. Congee is rice porridge that is popular here in
Lucy's outdoor patio is on the edge of a park that sits on the
After Lucy's we walked through the park and along the river. Most of my photos of the days were taken here. Isabel had some stacking cups that we take everywhere to entertain her. I suggested we take a seat by a big rock sculpture. Isabel walks for us plenty around the room, but when we're out in public and we set her down on her feet, she mostly just stands in place. If I try and hold her hand and gently pull, she goes to noodle legs. At the park today she was really interested in playing with her cups while in the stroller. So I had a bright idea to toss them about 5 feet away, and then set her on her feet. She immediately went to retrieve her cups. She brought them back to me and I threw them 10 feet. This continued until she was at least 30 or 40 feet away, and she was comfortable. While I realize she's not a dog, she loves to play fetch. She started throwing the cups herself (one photo has a cup in mid-air), and a little boy a few months younger than Isabel picked one up, then two. Isabel immediately went over to him to see what was going on. Thankfully she shared nicely and played with him until his mom forced the cups from his grasp to return them, then they left. Just watching Isabel play in the park was one of our most relaxing times with her.
Our first "shopping" stop was at a photo store where we had the visa picture taken yesterday. I failed to mention that at that visit I dropped of a disposable camera to be developed. It was a camera, among other items, that we sent to
The remainder of the day was just shopping at store after store, negotiation after negotiation. I looked at some knock-off Oakley sunglasses. I wasn't really interested, but I asked how much just for fun. She said 230 ($31)!!! After saying no to half of her subsequent prices I began to walk away. She was yelling "50! 50! 50!" at me as I was heading away. It's the same way at every store. I've found the most effective way to get the initial price to drop the fastest is to laugh at it, and loudly. If you don't, or give a sheepish "no", then they think they're in the park and you're close to playing ball. The key is to really spend the first day scouting the goods at each store. All of the stores stock virtually the same exact goods. During the scout visit you need to be firm on saying "no" all the while trying to get their best price. Doing this store to store gives you a baseline for where to start the negotiations. I have found though that the Chinese don't seem to agree to the concept of bulk discount as is common in the
For dinner we went to a Thai restaurant around the corner where we ate last night. I ordered Leslie's dish from last night and she mine. We enjoyed chatting with a Chinese (descent) woman from
Tomorrow we go to the US Consulate to finalize the adoption on the
Until tomorrow...
3 comments:
Those are some amazing photos! Looks like you have been together forever!!!
Enjoy "Oath Day" and have a safe trip home!
Rebel
Look at her!! It's so amazing to see her just open right up... perfect fit I'd say! Photos are fantastic... Keith I think you have another calling. Miss you guys lots, hugs and love as usual and talk soon! xoxo
OOOH I LOVE THESE PHOTOS!! I can't wait to meet this little diva in person and cannot be more excited to see the photos of her bonding with "ma-ma" !!!!!
Dawn
Post a Comment