Monday, December 17, 2007

Day 11: Medical check, walking tour

Sunday's late photos:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=f0o3yyn.1s2nm5fr&x=0&y=-eto9mu

Today's photos:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=f0o3yyn.apwhlcjr&x=0&y=-j3km0e

We had to get up early today to meet Molly at 8:30am in order to go get Isabel's visa photo taken and then head to get her a medical exam. Despite sleeping at the Victory Hotel, we headed to breakfast at the White Swan since we paid for the night and thus had breakfast vouchers. Those tots...can't say enough about them. Also the dumplings were excellent, and both were dripping in the excess syrup from my french toast. I really recommend you try food with syrup that normally isn't paired with it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It brought me back to 2001 when Les and I worked in California. When I'd fly down to L.A. to see her we'd go eat at a chain called Roscoe's. They served a great combo...fried chicken and waffles. Syrup on fried chicken is goooood.

So we got the visa photo taken and Isabel didn't want to get off of the stool to let the other kids get their turn. She wanted to be Miss Diva and model for the camera. We had to pull her away, but she didn't fuss. We then walked about six blocks to a small medical clinic. This was much nicer and cleaner than the Children's Hospital in Xi'an. We went to a back waiting area which was just for medical checks for adopted children. We just took turns with the two other couples we were with. There were three steps. General medical health, ENT, and height & weight. Isabel weighs 22 pounds. All the kid's passed their exam, which is just another step in getting them home!

Directly from the exam we walked off of Shaiman Island (where we're staying) into downtown to the Qing Ping market. There are storefronts after storefronts of people selling anything from pharmaceuticals to pets. There were some very interesting aromas along our stroll through the market. Within ten steps the smells would change between good, bad, horrifying, and just plain interesting. No one in our group bought anything from the market, but I was tempted to buy a pet scorpion, although I doubt it would get through customs. This guy just had tubs filled with scorpions...some tiny and some huge. Molly said they're used to make scorpion soup, but she says she's never tried it. I think neither will we.

We veered off to a pedestrian mall and headed down to a small indoor mall where we were introduced to a pearl shop...my favorite. Leslie bought a few pearls, and then we headed to the DVD store. They had all sorts of DVDs for about $2.25. I ended up buying eight. Most are movies that aren't out yet on DVD in the U.S. I'm sure this was all perfectly legal.

On the walk back to our hotel we passed a place that sold various remedies. I noticed the snake wine in a huge gallon jug, and it was full of snakes. This was the same stuff I bought yesterday, only mine was one snake in a small bottle. While we were checking out the snakes Patrick, another Dad in our group, pointed out the wine next to the "plain" snake wine. It was labeled "Red Spotted Lizard, Snake And Snake Penis Wine". I just need to ask, who came up with this, and who had the stones to be the first one to try it? I'd love to meet him (or her).

The final thing we did tonight was gather at the White Swan to take pictures of the kids on the famous red couch. Apparently there is more than one red couch in the hotel lobby, and maybe there is one in particular that is more well known than the others, but we just picked one and began taking photos. The lighting was poor, so many of the pictures came out blury, but a few turned out great.

I know this was a weak blog compared to the others and I apologize. It's getting very late again, but I was able to sort and upload pictures from Sunday and today. As you'll see from the photos, Isabel is doing great and smiling a lot! We can't wait to get her home. Only 96 hours until we land in Minneapolis!

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we have no set plans, just a free day for us while Molly works on the logistics behind the scenes. She said if there is a problem she'll call us, but no news is good news.

Good night/afternoon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

K and L -

Thanks for all the great posts. I can't help envisioning Isabel in dress up mania with Ella and Taytay. Just read every last word this morning after being a bit behind and am just so happy that it seems like all is coming together after some bumps along the way.

We'll call you next week back in MN. Safe travels and keep posting. BTW, since you have a "free day", L you should try to find a nice street market of Louis Vuittons ;-).

e

Tiffany said...

Your blog has been so enjoyable to follow. My husband (who never follows blogs) has even been reading along.

You are a great photographer and all of your pictures have been wonderful! I love the Red Couch pictures. Isabel is just adorable in her red dress.

I am still wondering about that Snake Wine combo. I can't imagine who came up with that one.

Thank you again for all of the pictures you took at the CWI. I ordered LOTS of them. It is such a blessing to have that bit of history for our son. We appreciate it so very much!

Erinn said...

Sounds like things are really coming together. What a smile she has!!! So happy for you all!

How much do you think it would take to get Chirp and Gary to try the shot??? I have to say there's really nowhere near enough money that would make me try it.

Can't wait for the next update--love and hugs to you all! XOXO EB

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you xmas eve, but I'm guessing you'll still be catching up on sleep by then. Congrats!!

Eric

Tim said...

Kieth,
I was turned on to your blog after talking to Lear today. What a fabulous adventure! What an adorable daughter! What a blast to read your Blog! What creative and great photographs you take! Keep it all coming. I'll follow your adventure home. Blessings!
Tim O. (Homecraft)

bgess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bgess said...

K+L+I-

Reading the Vesper Family blog has become a daily ritual at the Gess Household. This morning I couldn't help myself from imagining that your journey is a "choose your own adventure" book from my childhood.

- if you think Keith and Leslie should bring Isabel back to the orphanage for one last visit, skip ahead to page 32, if you think they should spend the day elsewhere go to page 49.

- if you think keith should eat wine soaked snake penis, skip to page 55. if you think he should but the scorpion and feed it snake penis head to page 66.

it really has been surreal living this experience through your eyes. And fortunately, you've been making all of your own decisions on your own adventure.

i've dreamed up a bunch of fun ideas for your "free day" but alas, I'll just have to wait and see what you guys actually did.

it truly is a blessing to see how your family is growing closer and closer each day. There's nothing like good ol' fashion love to bring us closer to one another.

P.S. I also really like how every day things can become "famous" just by calling them so. So when you guys get back, we're happy to welcome you into our home to sit by our famous fireplace and eat some of my famous chili.

Peace,

BGess

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the photos of Isabel in her red dress on the red couch - I know those will have a very long life in the Vesper family album

Les - Don't you agree that it sure beats the Santa outfit?

LOL
Love ya,
Dawn

AmyO said...

Great pics! I hope your doing well at home with Isabel! Surviving MN's cold? Hopefully spring will come soon for us :)